Karori is a suburb of Wellington. It is located on the west edge of Wellington's urban area and is about four kilometres from the city centre.
Karori is a Māori name related to snares. Māori initially used Karori as hunting grounds for various bird species.
The New Zealand Company of London settled the area in 1840 as a separate community. In 1891 it became a borough with settlement continuing further following the construction of the Karori Tunnel in 1901.
In 1920 Karori amalgamated with Wellington City.
Karori is a beautiful suburb with access to Karori Wildlife Sanctuary; one of New Zealand's highest acclaimed wildlife sanctuaries. The oldest cemetery of New Zealand is situated in Karori, as is Wrights Hill Fortress; a network of tunnels and gun emplacements.
Futuna Chapel is also in Karori and is one of New Zealand's best known pieces of 20th century architecture.
The Karori main stretch contains a shopping mall, a public library, a café and other amenities such as a dairy and takeaways. Karori has a distinct community feel.